Build a Better Breakfast
I’m in love with oatmeal, and I’m not ashamed of it! I know it’s a typical blogger obsession and blah, blah, blah, and oatmeal is not an uncommon food over here in the blog world, and some people think it’s kind of “orthorexic” eating oatmeal every day (which I don’t do) and it’s kind of creepy adding stuff like chia seeds and eggs and spinach to oats with peanut butter and other crazy stuff and blah, blah, blah.
You don’t have to be creepy to love oatmeal as much as I do, I promise! I realize that about 70% of the population of the USA has never heard of the oatmeal+PB combo, but for me, it’s pretty typical and “regular” and “everyday” and such.
For the faint of heart, here’s an easy oatmeal recipe that won’t kill your budget, your appetite, or your schedule.
Warning: You need some pretty high-tech equipment, though (read: microwave, spoon, bowl, etc.) I also tend to load up on the peanut butter. This stuff is so good for you but some people see it as a diet-buster or whatever. I like to eat a lot of it at breakfast though. It kicks my craving for the rest of the day, and a sufficient amount, I’ve found, really holds me over until lunch so I can skip the am snack and just power through my day like a champ.
Coffee is also recommended. This stuff tastes like donuts. It’s amazing.
Here’s the scoop: rolled oats, water, bananas, blackberres, prunes, peanut butter, cinnamon, vanilla extract and stevia extract (or sugar, maple syrup, etc)
Building a Bowl of Oatmeal: College-Student-Style
- Combine 1/2 cup rolled oats with 1 cup water in a deep, microwave-safe bowl. Nuke for about 3 minutes, until the oatmeal starts to rise to the top of the bowl. Keep an eye on it! It might overflow into your micro. which is not fun, although it is easy to clean up if you catch it early.
- Slice in 1/2 banana, a sprinkle of cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 8 drops stevia. Microwave for about 2 more minutes. Keep watching it!
- Add a few berries and a few prunes, microwave, stir, microwave, until hot and fluffy.
- Top with peanut butter, more cinnamon and more berries. I usually go for about 3 tablespoons of peanut butter. My favorite kind has one ingredient: peanuts. Try it! You’ll like it…
- Enjoy with coffee and your daily multivitamin + iron/calcium pills (that last part might just be for me…haha)